Friday, August 5, 2011

From the Beginning (April 2011)

Friday, April 1, 2011 10:08 AM
Another weekend has arrived! Lilya and I have enjoyed a pretty relaxing week. I am so thankful that the doctor prescribed me a zpack on Tuesday when I went for my regular check up. I am feeling better already. Things still looked great at the doctor, but I am starting to feel a little more uncomfortable. The weight of my belly is starting to put quite a bit of pressure on my pelvic bone, and it doesn't feel so hot. I know that it is a good sign though...means that our babies are growing!


We were lucky to have a visitor, Lauren Weston, on Wed. She was on spring break this week, so she came for the day and played with Lilya. Lilya loved it! She had someone to chase her around the house, take her outside to play, and take her to the potty all day long. Mommy loved it too. She has been doing great potty training these last few days...I'm so proud of her!

It was also nice to have Wendy and Barb (from church) visit yesterday. We are so lucky that people are so anxious to help us out. Funny thing is, I only know to tell people that the only thing I worry about is diapers. We really don't know what it is going to be like to bring home four babies, so it is hard to tell people what we need. We still feel very blessed that so many people are willing to help in any way that they can. I'm sure it won't take us long, once the babies are here, to start figuring out what exactly we need.

I'm starting to get nervous about how little they are going to be when they are born. I just looked at pictures of a friend of mine on facebook. She had twins at 35 weeks this week, and they look so tiny at just over 4 1/2 pounds each. It scares me to think that 35 weeks is probably the longest I will carry my babies, so they are bound to be smaller than her little angels. I'm not thrilled about them needing a long hospital stay either. Just new worries as the time gets closer. It's crazy that in just 2 more weeks, we will have reached Dr. Sumner's first goal for us! I am amazed at how quickly the weeks fly by. Next week, I will get all of my blood work done, and they'll give me my rohgam shot (for being Rh-), and then we'll be ready to go when they decide that they're ready to arrive...hopefully not for another 6 or 7 weeks though.
 
Sunday, April 3, 2011 6:38 PM
Wow, the weekend went by so fast! Yesterday was a day filled with excitement of babies entering the world...luckily, they weren't ours. Tony's cousin, Emily, and her family, welcomed her second baby girl, and My cousin, Danielle and her husband, welcomed their first baby girl, Mary Jean. She is the one that I wrote about in one of my previous journals...she named the baby after our Grandma Mary Lou. We got to go hold baby Colbie today. She looked so little (even though she weighed 8 lbs. 4 oz.) We wish we didn't live 1200 miles away, so we could go and hold baby Mary Jean too. :(

Just when we thought that the weekend couldn't get any better (welcoming 2 new babies and all), Butler went and won their Final Four game, so they will be playing in the championship game tomorrow night! I am going to work at getting not too excited during the game.

I am so lucky that things are going so well. I haven't had any contractions all weekend. The Alere nurses can't believe how well I'm doing, and most importantly, I'm still at home with my family. In fact, I'm getting ready to play a game of Shrek Memory with Lilya! 26 weeks tomorrow...the time is flying by!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:43 PM
Today's ultrasound was so much fun! I was super excited that my cousin, Hilde, got to take me this time. It is so nice to get to visit on the car ride and in the waiting room, and then to share the experience with those that I love. I am disappointed that I didn't get any new pictures from today, but the babies were great during the ultrasound. Three of them were laying with their heads together...it was so amazing to see all of the tops of their heads in one shot. We got to see profiles or straight on face shots of everyone but baby A, and at one point we were looking right up one of the baby's nose. They are starting to look like "real" little people...even in what used to be a scary straight on face shot. It is so crazy how much they change from week to week!


Everything else checked out great again this week.. Contractions are down, and the cervix is still long. I also gained 2 lbs. which was a huge plus. I have been feeling pretty light headed this week, so they were going to go ahead and test my blood sugar with the other normal tests they ran this week. I will have to wait until next week to get my shot of rohgam. Everyone is so positive there that I will carry past the 30 week mark, so I feel very encouraged every time I go. I have been blessed in so many different ways during this pregnancy, and I really feel like I am getting the best care possible. What an amazing journey I'm on, and so lucky that so many are willing to join me.

Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:51 PM
As long as the rain stays away, it is looking like it will be a beautiful weekend. I am really hoping for sunny weather tomorrow, so Amy can take some pictures for us. We were hoping for one more family picture before the family doubles in size!


I'm really excited that Monday marks the beginning of our 3rd trimester (I'll be 27 weeks)! According to the email update I got today, the babies should be about 14.5 inches and weigh close to 2 lbs. Last night I had a dream that they were here, and they all weighed close to 4 lbs. (they looked like about 8 lb. babies though). I'm getting so excited to see what they look like, but I'd like them to stay snuggled in there for at least another 5 or 6 weeks. Anyway, my mom is in New Mexico for the next week, so they can't come at least until she's home. The week after that is Easter, and I bought a cute maternity dress to wear, so they can't come that week either. I figure if I keep coming up with excuses like these, they have to stay in there. I'm still feeling great, and contractions are staying low, so things are looking good at this point. I hate going so long without pictures to share, but I think it will still be the week after next before they give me any. It will be exciting because I will have reached that very important 28 week mark at that time! Each week is such a milestone...I never dreamed that I would carry them this far, but now that I'm here, there is no doubt in my mind that we're going a lot farther!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:22 AM
While we continue to get good reports at the doctor (heart beats are strong, the cervix is still long and closed tight, I'm gaining weight like I should be, blood pressure is good, and there is no sign of swelling in my ankles), I couldn't help but look past our own joys for the moment to all of the crazy things that are happening around the world. My heart aches for those in Japan who are still dealing with aftershocks from the huge earthquake that, along with the tsunami, caused so much damage. I can't imagine living in fear of radiation poisoning from that nuclear power plant. I also feel for the families whose loved ones are sent over seas to the many countries there that are at war within themselves. I read yesterday that a Frankfort native was critically wounded in Afgahnistan lately. While I know that this is something that happens daily, it seems so real when it affects those that are so close to home. I hope that many will take the time to say a prayer for all of those around the world that going through such trying times.


I would also like to ask for prayers for my mom's family. I have mentioned before that we lost my grandma and my uncle in November, and my mom was able to be in New Mexico with them during their final weeks. It has taken a heavy toll on my mom, and she has been very sick since then. This week, she is back in New Mexico. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, they ae having a sale at my grandma's house. It makes me so sad to think of strangers going through and buying my grandma and grandpa's things, but it is even harder for me to think about what it is doing to my mom. My heart hurts for her, and I would give anything for her to not have to go through this.

So, while today we celebrate more good news on our journey, I also want to lift those up who are not experiencing the joy that we are right now. May God hold us all close to him and comfort us in the ways needed.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:16 PM
Well, we are inching closer and closer to the doctor's first goal of 28 weeks...only one more day. We have been so lucky over the last 5 days to get to spend time with some of our favorite friends and family. Amanda, Andrew, and Judy came out Wed. night for pizza and a little play time for the cousins. Thursday, we had a great morning visit with Elizabeth and Mac...we can't wait to find out if Mac is going to have a baby brother or sister. In the afternoon, Baby Colbie and Layners came to play too. Lilya got to hold Colbie and get some practice being a big sister. She was so gentle with her, and seemed to love every bit of it...sure hope that's her reaction when we bring home her brothers and sister. Friday, we were treated to a movie and popcorn by our best friends, the Perez's. People are always so surpised that I can still get out and do things like that, but really as long as I don't have to walk a lot and am able to sit most of the time, it really doesn't cause contractions. Yesterday, we got to spend more time with the Perez's helping Ellie celebrate her 3rd birthday. I can't believe how quickly the time goes by. Someone asked me yesterday if I was getting bored yet...haha! We don't usually have this much going on, but even when we don't, I am loving the one on one time I get to spend with Lilya. Believe me, I enjoy adult conversations when we have visitors, but I also know that I'm never going to get this "alone" time back with Lilya, so I am trying to make it as special as possible. I can't believe that sometime within the next 7 weeks, we're going to go from a family of 3 to a family of 7 (8 on weekends that we have Kaleb)! So excited for Tuesday's ultrasound when we get more measurments and updates on how the little miracles are doing. I can't wait to share the news!
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:56 PM
When I first started seeing my high risk doctor, I was lucky to be put in touch with another of his patients from the past who has quads of her own. They are now 4 years old, and she writes a very inspiring blog called 4tunate. One of her recent posts reminded me of all that I am grateful for and inspired me to write this...


I'm grateful for...

All of the trouble we had getting pregnant on our own, the medicine that wasn't covered by insurance and the painful fertility treatments that we had to go through because it shows that God had big plans for us, and we were willing to do what it took to get you.



I'm grateful for...

The hospital stays (expected for transabdominal cerclauge or unexpected for hyperstimulated ovaries and again for a discontinued medicine that was being used to stop contractions) because, this means that we have professionals that are willing to go above and beyond to make sure I am getting the care I need.

I'm grateful for...

$100's of dollars spent in gas to drive to and from Indy each week because, this let's me know that everything is going the way that the doctor expects it to go, and I get to spend the rest of the week in the comfort of my own home, loving on our first little miracle, Lilya.

I'm grateful for...

The uncertanty of leaving my job much earlier than planned because, it has shown us the love and suppoort of so many friends and family members who have stepped up to help in any way they can.

I'm grateful for...

little arguments that Tony and I get in to because, this is a reminder that I am not alone in the fear of how to go from a family of 3 to a family of 7.

I have so much to be grateful for right now including 4 little miracles in my belly that at this point weigh in at 2 lbs 4 oz, 2 lbs 6 oz, 2 lbs 8 oz and 2 lbs 4 oz. I'm sure that I could spend the rest of my life listing the more and more I become grateful for each day!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:32 PM
Well, I can't say that yesterday wasn't another great visit. The babies looked great and cervix is still really long. The difference was that I have been contracting more with a lot more lower back pain, so they decided to go ahead and admit me and monitor for a while.


At first, they said I would be staying all night, but I could wear my own clothes and there were no plans for an iv. About 15 min. on the monitor changed that. The nurse came in with a gown, said I'd be getting a catheter, and I watched her hang that dreaded bag of Magnesium Sulfate. Like always, I went through two nurses and a blown vein before they finally had the anesthesiologist come and put the iv in. I did feel much better, contraction wise, about thirty minutes later, but then all of the other side effects started to kick in. Besides the fact that I could not eat on the meds (ice chips only last night, and clear liquid diet today), my face felt like it was on fire. I really think it was the food that bothered me the most. After all of the complaining about trying to get 4000 calories in a day, and now I was stripped of everything...I was starving!

Anyway, I made it through the night, and today was a little rough.

Time out...room service just brought my dinner: baked chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, and a chocolate chip cookie...see, you don't have to feel too sorry for me. I'm going to feed these starving babies, and then I'll update from today's events.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:01 AM
Sorry to keep you waiting...it's not as easy to type these with my phone, and I hate to cut things out just because of that.


Yesterday, I was on the magnesium for most of the day. Poor Janelle stopped by to visit me, and because of the meds, I could hardly hold my eyes open. It was the same a little later while Tony was here, but by the time that Dave and Suzie visited, I had been off just long enough to start gaining control of my muscles again. I was thankful to have so many visitors no matter what time of day...I love to talk, so it gets pretty lonely.

I had some other visitors yesterday too. I met one of the neonatal doctors. He came in to talk me about what we can expect once the babies are born. While it was a very scary conversation to have, it is so comforting to know that they will be so well taken care of.

It was nice to get another ultrasound yesterday to put my mind at ease that the meds I was getting were not harming the babies. I've also had the second dose of steroids for their lungs, so that's a relief.

Now, it could just be wait time. I'm not contracting as often, but when I do, they are strong and last about 90 sec. I know I'm in the right place right now, and soon it will seem like it went by so quickly, but for now, I'd just like to find a way to move Lilya in with me.

No comments: