Friday, July 8, 2011

Making the Adjustment (from 1 to 5)









As you can imagine, bringing home quadruplets has been an adjustment for everyone. We have gone from having a toddler, to having a toddler and four new borns. During my pregnancy, I had blogged my feelings of guilt that I was going to be taking away attention from Lilya. I admitted that I'm sure this is a feeling that a lot of mothers have when they are expecting their second child...often wondering how you can possibly give each child the love and attention that they deserve. So, at times, I felt very overwhelmed with the fact that I was not only going to bring home one new baby, but four. I was very worried about how Lilya would react.

Now that we're home, I feel silly to have been so worried. All along, I felt like I would be taking away from Lilya while actually I have given her so much. She is as much in love as we are with the new babies. The first night that Benjamin, Jaylyn and Harrison were home, Tony was taking her up the stairs to give her a bath. She looked over the stair railing and said, "Awww...look at my teeny tiny babies." She has given countless kisses over the last 3 weeks, and even likes to help with diaper duty.

I don't want to make it sound like it has all gone perfect. Lilya is still only 2 1/2 years old. We have had some moments...four days ago, Lilya came into the living room during feeding time and said that her panties were wet. When I went into the bathroom, there was a puddle of pee next to the toilet. The following day, while babies were being fed, she walked in without any panties. When I asked her what she was doing, she said, "Nothing, I just pooped on the floor." Sure enough, in the same place I had found the puddle of pee, there was now poop. After talking with her about how she would be cleaning it up if it happened again, thankfully, we have gone two days without another accident. I try to include her during feeding times as much as possible. We love to read books to the babies as we feed. Hopefully this has also distracted her from these "attention getting" acts.

Life is about adjusting to make the best of every situation, and we are a blessed family to have so much to adjust to.

No comments: