Friday, July 15, 2011

Oh, the Things We Wear in Public

So, we are finally to the end of a very long week of appointments for the babies.  It all started on Monday with a trip to the Optomologist in Indianapolis.  All four babies had to go, and we had to be there by 8 o'clock.  I had help the night before, so I was able to shower at about 4 a.m., feed at 5:30 instead of the usual 6:00, and head out by 7:00.  The babies all did great at the eye doctor.  Benjamin, Jaylyn, and Harrison don't have to go back until November.  Oscar will go back in August, just to make sure everything has progressed the way it should.  When we were finished, we headed over to say hello to Dr. Henry and his staff.   I was so glad to have Amy Perez along...I cannot do it alone. Loading them in and out of the car three times that day was an excellent workout. I wish I would have worn my yoga pants and a tank top so I could have at least been comfortable.
By Wednesday, we were back at it.  The quads had their two month check up and shots at the doctor in Frankfort.  This time, I loaded them up, and Amy met me at the doctor's office.  They are growing great!  Oscar is 18 3/4 in. and weighs 6 lbs. 7 oz.  Benjamin is 20 1/2 in and weighs 8 lbs 2 oz.  Jaylyn is 19 1/8 in. and 6 lbs 7 oz. and Harrison is 19 3/4 in and 6 lbs 15 oz.  After the fun measuring part was over, it was time to get shots...12 total!  I remembered taking Lilya to get her first shots.  No one had told me that she would have to get three.  I cried the entire time.  You would think that this would have been four times as bad, but it was so hectic, it was much easier (on the momma).  I took the time to put on makeup before we went...only because I didn't have time to shower, and I thought it might disguise the fact that I only slept a total of 2 1/2 hours the night before.
Thursday, it was more loading them in and out of the car.  We had another appointment in Frankfort, and then I loaded them in and out at Anne's so that I could go to Wal-Mart.  I was grateful when my friend, Sarah, asked if Lilya could go to the fair with them on Thursday night.  I dropped her off at her house on my way home, so I only had to make 19 trips to the car and back while unloading babies and groceries.  I was exhausted by the time I got everyone settled and all of the groceries put away.  I sat down on the couch and propped my feet up to relax for the half hour before it would be time to start feeding babies again.  As I looked down, I noticed what looked like a Strawberry Shortcake (you know, the pink haired little girl that smells like strawberries) tatoo.  Surely that wasn't still there from the day before when Lilya was sticking stickers all over my legs.  I had managed to grab a quick shower in the morning, but even though I was planning on wearing capri pants, there was no time to shave my legs.  I can't believe no one at Wal-Mart even mentioned my beautiful tatoo...maybe it just now stuck to me as I sat down on the couch.  I bent down and pulled on it.  Yep, stuck tight like it had been there over night, and given extra sticky when it got wet in the shower...nice.
Today seemed like the easiest trip of the week.  Anne came out and spent the night again last night, and took care of the kiddos through the night.  I was able to get a good 7 hours of straight sleep, and woke up refreshed.  I actually showered AND applied makeup today, getting ready to take Jaylyn back to the Women's Hospital for a hip ultrasound.  You would think since I only had to take one (Anne stayed at my house with the others), that I might be on time today, but to follow suit with every other appointment we had this week, we were running about 15 min. late.  Of course, we still had to wait a bit, and as I crossed my legs in the waiting room, I noticed a huge glob of baby puke at the bottom of my black skirt.  So much for trying to look nice one day of the week.  Oh well, it was all better when the ultrasound tech said that her hips looked perfect.  "There's nothing you have to worry about."
This is my life.  When I go out into public, I may have had a shower, I may not; I may have on makeup, I may not; I may still be in my pajamas, I may not; I may be wearing stickers, I may not; I may care what others think...Probably NOT.  I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: